Our eating habits and preferences have a major impact on our physical health and appearance. Adopting a more mindful approach to eating can help you find a middle path and achieve balance between binging and fasting extremes.
Mindfulness techniques for healthy eating include:
- Listen to your body about when to ‘start’ and ‘stop’ eating based on hunger and satiety signals
- Assess whether you are ordering food from a state of ‘attachment’ or ‘anxiety and fear’. This awareness brings a balance. A healthy balance between quantity and quality is important. Lean more towards quality
- Eat small mouthfuls and be aware of the acts of chewing and swallowing
- Slow down to respect, savour and enjoy your food
- Develop a true appreciation and state of gratitude for the food and for your body’s innate wisdom during meals
Physical asanas (yoga postures) establish greater strength, flexibility, and balance. Additional physiological benefits include improved circulation, deepened sleep and improved posture and reduction in structural pains.